SMS marketing may be 2022’s most talked about marketing channel, so what’s causing all the buzz? In this post, we look over the most inspirational SMS marketing statistics and find out why everyone is talking about SMS as a primary channel this year. Check out these statistics:
- In 2018, SMS was valued at $3.5 billion with an estimated compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.3% from 2019 through 2025.
- As many as 16 million text messages are sent every minute.
- As many as 6 billion text messages are sent per day.
- As many as 67% of people prefer to book an appointment through text message rather than call or email.
- Almost 100% of people open an SMS (regardless of who it’s from).
- 95% of text messages are read and responded to within 3 minutes of being received.
- SMS messages are 20-25% more effective in triggering customers to find out more about offers, promotions, and discounts than any other method.
- Consumers open only 20% of emails, but 80% of SMS messages from brands.
- The COVID-19 pandemic caused increased cell phone usage in 64% of people.
- Almost 58% of people respond to a text message in less than 5 minutes.
- Americans check their phones once every 4 minutes, which comes to 344 times a day.
- On average, users spend 3-4 hours a day using their mobile phones.
- 31% of consumers say they opt in to text messaging from brands so they wouldn’t need to visit a physical location, website, or app for information.
- 48% of people said that they like getting text messages from brands to know about offers and promotions.
- In 2020, 80% of people received text messages from brands they followed.
- In 2020, SMS messages had an average clickthrough rate (CTR) of 10.63%.
- 63% of people use the default text messaging app.
- 98% of adults in the US own a mobile phone.
- In 2022, SMS has CTR of 19%, compared to 4% for emails and 1% for Facebook.
- 75% of Gen Z and millennials use smartphones to shop online.
- 45% of adults believe mobile devices are becoming their most important shopping tool.
- 39% of businesses use SMS marketing.
- 58% of people say SMS is an effective way to reach them.
- 34% of businesses started using SMS marketing during/because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 52.5% of business owners and marketers say a “large mobile audience” is why they invest in SMS marketing.
These SMS marketing statistics prove that SMS may be the greatest thing since email. It’s a channel that less brands are using, with more efficacy in both clicks and conversions.
If you’re feeling inspired by these SMS marketing statistics (that was the point), consider consulting with the experts here at Hawke Media. We can help you set up and execute an SMS marketing campaign, using our Lifecycle marketing offering and many other complementary offerings.
Set up a time to chat with our experts today.